Carpet rarely wears out in terms of fibre wearing away; rather, its appearance simply deteriorates over time to a point where it is no longer acceptable. Experience has shown that proper maintenance can help reduce the rate at which a carpet’s appearance changes.
- Provide walk-off mats at all entrances. Keep walk-off mats cleaned so they don’t become sources of soil themselves.
- Adhere to pad recommendations stated in the warranties. Use a quality pad under your carpet, particularly on stairs. Good pad not only gives better resilience underfoot, but it can also add to the life of your carpet.
- Vacuum regularly. The most important step in caring for your carpet is vacuuming. Vacuum thoroughly and frequently, particularly in high traffic areas. Bear in mind that walking on soiled carpet permits the soil particles to work their way below the surface of the pile where they are far more difficult to remove. Frequent vacuuming removes these particles from the surface before this happens.
- Shaw industries recommend the use of vacuums with a rotating brush or beater/ brush bar which agitates the carpet pile and mechanically loosens soil for the vacuum to remove.
- Move heavy furniture occasionally to avoid excessive pile crushing.
- When moving heavy furniture, prevent damage by placing a protective barrier of heavy cardboard or plywood between furniture and carpet.
- Do not use chairs or appliances with rollers or casters on the carpet over the pad. Continued use can damage the carpet.
- If you use area rugs over your carpet, be sure to remove and clean them regularly. Clean and restore the pile of the carpet underneath. After cleaning your carpet, remember to allow for complete drying before replacing rugs.
- Protect your carpet from prolonged periods of direct sunlight with blinds, shades, or awning on your windows.
- Carpets with soil resistant treatments reduce the rate of soiling, but these also require regular care and maintenance.
- Keep proof of purchases in the form of a bill, invoice or statement from your retailer including the price you paid for the carpet; excluding pad and labour.
- Be able to show proof of steam cleaning performed a minimum of once every 18 months.
- Most problems in do-it-yourself cleaning are due to over wetting and use of excessive detergent. Professional cleaning companies that utilize hot water extraction cleaning will provide you with the most satisfying results.
Most importantly, besides long term maintenance (truck mounted steam cleaning extraction) is daily/weekly. Vacuum 1 – 2x per week and tackle stains as they happen. All carpet manufacturers make a stain removal and odour removal formula that is PH neutral (always recommended).
My personal favourite cleaners are in order:
- Mohawk Stain & Pet
- Shaw Stain Remover
We carry all 3 at Evolution Flooring, by far the most effective is the Proxy and yes it does fall a little on the pricier side, it is well worth every penny for those frustrating stains.
AND above all, never rub or wipe stains with your cloth; apply a liberal amount of solution, and use a clean terry-cloth to press firmly down, and absorb the solution as it removes the stain.
You stand to do much more damage by rubbing and creating friction on the carpet’s fibres with the cloth, possibly even fraying the tips of the carpet fibres and affecting the texture of the stained mark.
All the Best,